Monday, March 23, 2009

I Count It All Loss (Phil 3:8)

**Please note- I know I am sending this WAY after I wrote it, you'll just have to chalk it up to African Internet, my friends!!**

Discipleship takes many forms. Wednesday we spent time with the guys and girls of TAYO as we slashed grass with them in the front of the TAYO offices. It was quite an experience as everyone who passed stopped to watch the azungu slash the fields. That day, I missed a lawn mower more than I ever thought I possibly could! It was fun though, as our friends taught us how to slash grass with a machete-type tool, I taught them fun songs to help work go by faster!

We did about 9 rounds of “I do some ___ for my Jesus,” as they filled in the words with “I do some slashing for my Jesus,” “I do some hoeing,” “I do some carrying” (as we carried the excess grass and threw it in the cornfields). We had a lot of fun with it. But, two blistered hands later, my respect for Malawians has been raised, yet again. While I was picking up the grass and soil after slashing some of it, I received possibly the best compliment ever since being here. (haha) Francis, a member of TAYO, looked at me and said, “You are such a hard worker. You do not count your fatness, you just work hard!” Now, understand, in Africa, being called fat is a great compliment. Yeah, you never get quite use to it though. I laughed SO hard as I was reminded of the passage in Philippians “I count it all loss that I may gain Christ.” Yep.. that’s just what I decided to do!!

That afternoon we had our third TAYO Bible study. Josh dressed as Joshua from the Bible and told the story of leading the Israelites into the Promised Land. It was fun, and in the end, there were many good questions, deep questions, and others began to put their input into the discussion.

Thursday and Friday I got a new and unexpected ministry opportunity as I've started teaching computer/typing lessons to some friends at TAYO. As they watched us type on their PC to help them complete their strategic plan, they said, "Laekan, will you teach us to type ?" So, we began with turning the computer on and getting into Microsoft Word. They were so fun to watch as they got excited every time a new screen popped up due to them clicking on something! We started writing new sentences, then started typing Scripture. They got such a kick out of themselves! We will continue typing lessons when we return from Mozambique in a week!

Tomorrow (Monday) we are headed to the Indian Ocean in Mozambique! We will be assisting the Brownfields as they survey unreached people groups in Mozambique as they plan where to move within the next year! Yay for a week of camping and scouting and praying with them!!

Things are going well in the cornfield! Thanks for the prayers and encouragement. Keep serving the King, as we serve here!

No comments:

Post a Comment